Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Assure lesson plan

Last week I created my ASSURE model lesson plan. How different this was to create! First of all, I had to incorporate dance and movement into a SCIENCE lesson. I have never ever thought about mixing dance and science, but after doing some research online, I saw a really neat idea on using dance to learn about different types of rocks. This was a great start for me, and I went with it! I decided to create a lesson plan geared at 3rd graders. This lesson first taught them about the three different types of rocks and then taught them about locomotive and non-locomotive movement. The students were evaluated on two different objectives: the dance they came up with to describe each type of rock and a written quiz on the types of rocks. The dance they needed to come up with needed to reflect something they learned about the rock. Maybe the rock was soft, so they needed to have soft movement. Igneous rocks are created from volcanoes, so maybe the students could "explode" and "flow" in their movement.
After coming up with ideas for science and dance, it was pretty easy to create the lesson. I looked at all 5 examples as well as the template to help guide me; I didn't want to leave anything out! I also inserted cells into my lesson plan to create a rubric, though I wish I could have thought of more things to grade on.
I will for sure want to integrate subjects that don't traditionally "mix" (such as dance and science) in my classroom. I think it makes for a much more interesting lesson that the students are probabley more likely to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment